I had a problem that whenever I connected/disconnected my surface pro 3 to my dell displaylink 3100, then processes would take time to recover. Workaroud was to kill and restart explorer – although explorer might not have shown in the task manager as the processes consuming the most cpu. I recently upgraded my displaylink driver to version 8.0.778.0. Now everything seems ok.
One thing that annoys me is the ability of my bluetooth mouse to wake my surface pro whilst it is in my bag. Here is how to fix.
First, reset your power plans (open the power plan from the control panel, then reset it).
Next, open a cmd prompt with admin rights (windows key + R, cmd, right click to get administrator option).
Then type the commands below (after the command prompt)
C:>powercfg /devicequery wake_armed
HID-compliant mouse (001)
Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Keyboard (Mouse and Keyboard Center)
Surface Ethernet Adapter
C:>POWERCFG /DEVICEDISABLEWAKE “HID-compliant mouse (001)”
C:>POWERCFG /DEVICEDISABLEWAKE “Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Keyboard (Mouse and Keyboard Center)”
C:>POWERCFG /DEVICEDISABLEWAKE “Surface Ethernet Adapter”
C:>powercfg /devicequery wake_armed
The May 2016 firmware upgrade had a problem whereby some batteries reported false (lower) battery levels. The August firmware release should fix that: https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/78031/microsoft-issues-surface-pro-3-firmware-update and https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826. Execute the appropriate msi.
I have a surface pro 3. It’s gorgeous and I love it. However sometimes it gets confused and does not start up. I use this page to help me.
When it does start, I notice that the clock has lost some minutes / hours (basically since it was last working). So remember to update that.
Recently on the new patches for win8.1, it seems to power down rather than sleep. I have not quite figured that one out yet.
I had some problems upgrading to win10. I thought I would write down my experiences as I dont think I will be the only one 🙂
I had win8 on my personal laptop, so I decided to take advantage of the free upgrade offer to win10. I have a tool rmprepusb that allows you to boot the image off of a usb. As the iso for win10 is large, I decided to go that way and download it to the usb key, so I would have a way to do the upgrade on other computers.
Problem was that, even though I used the usb key and selected upgrade, it did not do an upgrade to win10, but instead did a new install. This meant that my license key was lost (forever?) and I was now in win10 without a license.
Luckily win10 comes with a rollback feature. Unluckily that did not work for me.
The trick here is to look into c: drive and rename the windows.old directory. I then reinstalled a virgin win8 with a license key. Once I had that in place, I used my usb key to reboot and get a dos prompt and renamed the existing windows directory to windows.8new and copied the windows.old directory to be windows. Then rebooted into the machine again – and it all seemed to work ok (even had all my programs on the start menu, etc).
I then did the upgrade option for win10 (as I should have done right from the beginning).
I now have a legit license for win10.
I downloaded the office2013 vba help files in chm format and saved them to my computer. When you launch them, you should see contact on the right hand side. I did not. I could still search using the left hand pane, but a double click in the lift hand pane did not show the expected content in the right.
To fix, you need to open properties (right click on the file) and then select unblock at the bottom (it has been blocked as it has come from the internet). Reload and the content should now display.
This has been bugging the hell out of me: I like the lists (I can see what has been saved and what has not). I hate the previews (no extra information provided by them – and takes away my saved / not saved view) 🙂
Microsoft very recently released some patches for win8.1. This breaks CISCO anyconnect. Error message: “failed to initialize connection subsystem”. This can be fixed by going to: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3023607
Over the last week I’ve installed win8 about 10 times trying to get the right combination. Some things I’ve found out:
microsoft are currently providing free use of team foundation server for teams of 5 or less. there are some warnings that indicate they might make this a chargeable service later, but for now take advantage 🙂
btw, if you are wondering why you should use source control, then go off and do your homework. source control is vital. period. if you are wondering why you should use tfs, my thinking is it is an MS tool so will work well with visual studio and for now it is free. when it changes from being free, I will look into github.
this is the way I use it:
open internet explorer (chrome does not always seem to work)
sign in, preferably with your live id (whichever you use on the store)
if you cannot remember your repository, go to account and it is listed there, eg: https://mobileliving.visualstudio.com/
create “New Team Project” – I usually give same name as my project
open visual studio
in solution explorer
click on solution, right click add to source control and select your project
click on solution, check in and provide a label
As you edit files, it does an automatic check out. When you close file/solution/application, it will check in the files.
I have not yet worked out:
LABELS. how to label the code so that I could get version 184.108.40.206 or version 220.127.116.11 of the files I submitted to microsoft marketplace, but will figure that out when needed.
BUILD. you can launch builds on the tfs server, but they never seem to work for me. as I am only 1 developer right now, I am not too worried about this.