I had a problem that whenever I connected/disconnected my surface pro 3 to my dell displaylink 3100, then processes would take time to recover. Workaroud was to kill and restart explorer – although explorer might not have shown in the task manager as the processes consuming the most cpu. I recently upgraded my displaylink driver to version 8.0.778.0. Now everything seems ok.
One thing that annoys me is the ability of my bluetooth mouse to wake my surface pro whilst it is in my bag. Here is how to fix.
First, reset your power plans (open the power plan from the control panel, then reset it).
Next, open a cmd prompt with admin rights (windows key + R, cmd, right click to get administrator option).
Then type the commands below (after the command prompt)
C:>powercfg /devicequery wake_armed
HID-compliant mouse (001)
Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Keyboard (Mouse and Keyboard Center)
Surface Ethernet Adapter
C:>POWERCFG /DEVICEDISABLEWAKE “HID-compliant mouse (001)”
C:>POWERCFG /DEVICEDISABLEWAKE “Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Keyboard (Mouse and Keyboard Center)”
C:>POWERCFG /DEVICEDISABLEWAKE “Surface Ethernet Adapter”
C:>powercfg /devicequery wake_armed
when I was writing my code for my facebook windows phone app, I noticed you can refer to people with a number and that Mark Zuckerberg was number 4… here’s the others:
4. Mark Zuckerberg, 4 Feb 2004, although timeline says 11 Feb 2004. Launched the wall on 5 Sept 2004
5. Chris Hughes, 17 Jan 2004
6. Dustin Moskovitz, 15 Jan 2004
7. Arie Hasit, 2004- (Arie signed up for facebook 3 weeks before the site started, according to his comment on 18 Jan 2004)
10.Marcel Laverdet, 2006-2011
Am I the only one to notice this – or is it localized to Finland?
Recently with the Windows 8 release and with the Build conference ongoing, Microsoft servers seem to be creaking under the load. If I log into the Windows 8 app store, it takes about 5-10 minutes for me to be spent my log in code.
Hopefully this is just temporary….
One of my ideas has been to create my own book. I know what it would be called, I know most of the content – I just don’t know how to do it, nor have the time right now. Well part 1 solved thanks to Lisa Sabin-Wilson. She has a really good presentation on self-publishing at slideshare.
The 1 URL to remember: https://kdp.amazon.com (amazon even do a free book on how to self-publish).
Key notes are:
2 weeks for TOC
4 months for chapters
1-2 months of Author review by copy editors, tech editors, project editor (queries, phrasing, clarify, technical info)
roughly 6 months to write a book
chapters = 10-12 pp, 5-15 images
1 chapter = 5-8 hours
goal: 2-3 chapters per week
15-20 hours per week
plus think about: public speaking, interviews, book signings, webinars, guest blogging, marketing and promotion
plan for marketing, frequent reprints, future editions
http://lulu.com = iBookstore
(Apologies: loaded sentence coming up): I won’t do a Heatmap review or comparison, but definitely is not rubbish, nor is it a fraud or scam. (End loaded sentence). The only thing I could fault is that the last update (to v5.2) was done in October 2011, and there have been no updates since.
In order to install I had to ask my web hoster how to do that. However they were really quick to reply and help me out.
Quite often I wonder whether what I am doing is what I want to do. That’s usually an easy question to answer. What is harder is to work out what I really want to do: CTO vs CIO, enterprise architect vs program manager, application vs infrastructure, enterprise vs ecommerce, mobile vs mainframe, Switzerland vs Silicon Valley vs Chicago vs uk vs Australia… To help me and maybe you, I thought I would start to list a set of inspirational people. Idea being to see what path they took and create my own…
Microsoft pub center
I noticed that I lost my linkstation in the itunbes shared section.
Having just opened up the telnet access (see my earlier post), I decided to analyze a bit…
ps -edf|grep daapd
threw up nothing… it should have shown the itunes server running. Similar thing for twonky.
I therefore added 2 lines into /etc/init.d/rcS (be careful when you do this… this is the same level of danger as changing your registry on windows or using msconfig on windows) and I added in 2 lines to start “itunes.sh start” and twonky.sh… I copied the telnet line just above so that it pipes the log to /dev/null.
Now I can see my linkstation in itunes again (and my twonky server).
BTW: twonky installs onto port 9001 on linkstation – not the 9000 default (that is pcast), nor the 9010 mentionned in the twonky setup file.